Soccer prop bets are bets on a specific player or event occuring in the match.
They range from the total number of goals a certain player scores to the number of corners or yellow cards.
While props won’t make you money over the long-term, there maybe strategy involved to help.
Here’s your guide to soccer prop bets.
These prop bets are wagers on the total number of goals scored by a player.
The goals only count in regulation and injury time unless otherwise stated.
There are several goalscorer bets available:
- First Goalscorer: betting on the player to score the first goal;
- Anytime Goalscorer: betting on the player to score at any point;
- Last Goalscorer: betting on the player to score the final goal;
- Scoring A Brace: betting on the player to score two goals or more;
- Scoring A Hattrick: betting on the player to score three goals or more.
These are just some of the many options.
Different sportsbooks may have other markets available that others don’t.
Some important notes to consider:
- Players you bet on for Anytime Goalscorer don’t have to start the game;
- First Goalscorer bets become void if the player doesn’t start and they get subbed in after the first goal has been scored;
- First Goalscorer bets stand if the player doesn’t start but they get subbed in before the first goal has been scored;
- Own goals do not count.
- Win/Draw/Win: betting on the result of the first or second half;
- Total Goals: betting on the total number of goals scored in the first or second half;
- Correct Score; betting on the exact score when the first or second half ends.
This is, as the name suggests, betting on how many corners are taken in the game.
These prop bets are similar to totals.
Sportsbooks set a line and you bet whether there will be over or under that many corners
This extends to halves betting too – bet on the total number of corners in either half.
Cards betting is betting on how many cards are issued in the game.
It can be yellow or red cards.
Again, these prop bets work the same as totals.
Sportsbooks set a line and you bet whether there will be over or under that many cards.
This extends to halves betting too – bet on the total number of cards in either half.
There are also markets where you can bet on specific players to be pick up a card.
Of course, you only win the bet if that player receives the card.
Converting Odds To Implied Probability
Let’s say you wanted to make the following bet:
If Lewandowski scores at any point in the match (0-90 minutes plus injury time) then you win the bet.
If he doesn’t score in this period, you lose the bet.
From using our margin calculator, these odds represent a 67.84% chance of winning.
If you think that the probability of Lewandowski is greater than this number, then you will have found a value bet.
Prop Bet Strategy
Here are a few points that can help you win your soccer prop bets more often.
Players can only score if they’re on the pitch.
This almost acts as an extra margin for sportsbooks; less time on the field means their chances of scoring decrease.
For example, if a player is subbed off at half-time, they miss out on 45 minutes worth of potential scoring time.
Therefore, factor players that face being subbed off into your selections, or least only select those that are most likely to play the whole game.
Players Out Of Position
Sometimes coaches have to select players to play abnormal positions to cover an injury or suspension.
Make sure you’re up to date on team news so you aren’t bamboozled when your selection is played out of their comfort zone.
Penalty takers are more likely to score compared to players that don’t take them.
Sure they can still miss, but at least have the chance to score.